Monday 23 April 2007

ADM best foot forward

Sunday, 15 April 2007 - lunchtime has been and gone and we've survived yet another year .... My first priority is to provide every support I can for the union's new President, Michelle Stanistreet.

In accepting the position, Michelle addressed conference and spoke of the pressures faced by many working journalists today - namely finding a balance between work and home life. The NUJ is a union which is led by its members. The outgoing President, Chris Morley, did an outstanding job across the union, while retaining his job as Industrial Correspondent on the Birmingham Post.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'd weighed up the potential pressures of getting even more involved with the union and the time commitments that will bring. Don't get me wrong, I'm deeply honoured to have been elected VP .... and hope to be an advocate for journalists and journalism across the union and wider society.

At the age of 32, with a huge mortgage and a day job that I thoroughly enjoy, I'd love to think that I could enjoy a sabbatical - but I don't think that even my employers (as excellent as they are) would be very agreeable.

So with that, I know that I'll have to manage my time as best I can - save holiday and time in lieu for what I absolutely believe will be one of the most fulfilling 12 months of my life.

My mother didn't quite take it that way. She was proud, but when I told her that it was unlikely that I could take her on holiday this year (as I have always done) because of my new commitments, she deftly replied: "Aye, well they can f*cking unelect you then, can't they?"

It seems I have my dependents as well ....

No comments: